Franciscan churchFranciscan monastery with the Church of the Annunciation
The church we can see today was built between 1646 and 1660 and is the third on the spot, built by the Augustinians, who lived inside until the end of the 18th century. Due to financial instabilities, the facade was finished only in 1700. Today its front reminds us of the famous Il Gesu, Rome. Later the church was taken over by the Franciscans, after whom it got its name and colour. They were changing its appearance until the 19th century. A typical baroque interior housed a Loreto chapel of St. Mary but only until the mid of the 18th century, when it was concealed by the great altar of Francesco Robba, the sculptor. The frescoes were drawn by Matevz Langus in the middle of the 19th century and on the vault were painted in 1936 by Matej Strnen. The church got its present image only after the earthquake in 1895. On the outside top the biggest bronze statue of St. Mary in town is visible.
Masses are also available in foreign languages. Every day at 7.00, 8.00, 9.00, 10.00, 11.15 you can listen in English, French and Italian. At 16.00 in Serbian and Croatian. At 19.00 and 21.00 mass takes place as well.
Opening hours: every day from 08.00 to 12.30 and from 13.30 to 20.00.
Address: Presernov trg 4, Ljubljana
Contact: +386 (0)1 425 30 07