Ursuline Church of the Holy Trinity
Built between 1718 and 1726, it is one of the most unusual and most beautiful baroque monuments in the city. Traces of Italian baroque can be seen since the construction plans were entrusted to Carlo Martinuzzi the Furlanian architect. Besides the wavy roof and the frontal facade, some inner artistic masterpieces give the church its visual glory. A huge altar made of African marble was designed by Francesco Robba, the same artist that built the Fountain of the Three Rivers of Carniola, standing in front of the City House today (due to natural damage the original was replaced by a replica). The paintings on the side altars are work of the Slovenian painter Valentin Metzinger.
After the earthquake in 1895 the old bell tower was pulled down and a new one was built. The Staircase with balustrades in front of the church was arranged by Joze Plecnik in 1930. In front of the church and just across the road, the Holy Trinity Column can be seen, originally made of wood and placed in 1693 in thanks that the plague did not destroy the town.
Guided tour's are possible but with advance notice only.
Mon – Fri at 10.00 and 18.00;
Sundays and Christian Holidays at 9.00, 10.30 and 18.00.
6.30 – 7.30, 9.00 – 11.00, 16.00 – 19.00
Slovenska cesta 21, Ljubljana
Phone: +386 (0)1 252 48 64