LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA BASIC FACTS & USEFUL INFORMATION
Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia, which itself is a member of the European Union. The population of Slovenia is approximately 2 million, while the population of Ljubljana is about 300.000. Therefore, they rank among the smallest countries and capitals of the EU. However, we do dare to add, they also rank among the most beautiful and among the safest of them all. Please find more interesting basic facts about Ljubljana and Slovenia below.
- Ljubljana`s location: Central Europe
- Latitude and longitude coordinates: 46.056946, 14.505751
- Population of Ljubljana: 288.250
- Density: 1,712/km2
- Ljubljana altitude: 295 m
- How big is Ljubljana? 163.8 km²
- Ljubljana time: CET – Central European time: UTC/GMT +1 hour
- Where is Ljubljana on a map? Right here.
History of Ljubljana
When was Ljubljana created? The development of Ljubljana dates back to Roman times, where the fortified Roman settlement laid on the area of today’s Ljubljana. Roman name for Ljubljana was Emona.
After Emona was destroyed by Huns, Slavs had arrived and built a town under the present castle hill, that developed into medieval Ljubljana (known as Laibach).
It was under the Habsburg rule until the colapse of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy in 1918 and part of Yugoslavia until 1991.
In Slovenia, the official language is Slovene (or Slovenian), which is similar to other Slavic languages, particularly close to Serbian and Croatian, which uses the Latin alphabet.
Here we give you some of the words and phrases you may need while travelling around Slovenia and Ljubljana.
How to pronounce "Ljubljana"?
How to pronounce “Ljubljana” and what is the origin of the name?
Some are breaking their tongues trying to pronounce the name of the capital of Slovenia. There are “-lj”s and even “-blj”! What the heck!? But no worries, it is not difficult at all when you find out that “J”s in Slovenian are pronounced as “Y”s in English.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Ljubljana is the capital of what? Ljubljana is the capital of which country?
Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia.
- What is the capital of Ljubljana?
Ljubljana is the capital city itself. It is political, cultural and economic centre of Slovenia.
- What country is Ljubljana in?
- What is the population of Ljubljana, how many people live in Ljubljana?
Population of Ljubljana is about 300 thousand people.
- What is the area of Ljubljana?
- Are Slovenia and Slovakia the same country?